If I made an agreement over a vocational school refund in writing, can the school say later it mis-calculated and change the agreement?

I left a vocational school and was told I would be responsible for a certain amount, 25% or $2,125. This amount was agreed upon, the paperwork was then signed, and the refund check for the balance issued . 6 days later I was contacted by the director who said he had used the wrong calculation and according to his new figures he says I am responsible for the new figure (50% or $4,250).

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement over a disputed school refund signed by you and the representative for the school that you are writing about, then the agreement is the agreement. Legally the school cannot unilterally change what was agreed to in writing assuming you did not know there was a mistake in the calculations.

If I were you, I would write the director a letter (keeping a copy for future need) advising that there has already been an agreement as to the refund paid you that was in dispute and that the written agreement signed by him controls the situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.