What actions can I take if my children’s mother moves with them out of state without my consent?

I have joint custody of my 2 sons. Our court custody agreement states that neither parent can leave without the others permission for more than a week with the children.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the mother of your children moved out of state with your children in violation of a court order, you need to consult with a family law attorney to decide what your legal recourse is. Most likely a petition for an order to show cause as to contempt of violating a court order would be in order against your children's mother if in fact the court order you have mentioned was violated by her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.