If I give up my parental rights, would I still be required to pay child support?

I am going through a nasty divorce and my wife is making nasty false actuation s. I am being made out to be someone that I am not. My name is mud in my daughters eyes. Everytime I hear new lies from my wife and daughter.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If one willingly and knowingly gives up his or her parental rights, the parental obligations under the laws of all states in this country are also given up as well.

As such, if your parental rights are knowingly given up by you and accepted as such by your soon to be former wife, any child support obligations you might be required to pay for are also given up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.