If I fly out of state on a warrant, will I get arrested?

The warrant was issued because I didn’t enroll in my 6 month class but I was at work and plan on going back.

Asked on February 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on just where you are traveling to. The fact is that most airlines don't check a passenger's name against databases that might provide a list of persons with outstanding warrants. Frankly, it would be too expensive and time consuming to do so. That having been said, international travel is a different matter. Security procedures for such flights do involve checking criminal databases. Accordingly, if you are traveling internationally your name will likely show up. Even if it doesn't, once you have left the U.S, you have other security checks to pass. For example, once you arrive at your destination country you typically have to provide a visa upon entering and a background check is required to get one. Therefore, if you have any outstanding warrants you won't be able to obtain a visa so you'll be refused entry into the country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.