How do I find out the bail amount for an out of state warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out the bail amount for an out of state warrant?

I received a moving traffic violation 7 years ago and in pursuing to rectify the fine, I’m facing a warrant but I live out of state.

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do now is to hire a NY attorney; try to select one who practices in the court that issued the warrant. They can utilize their local contacts to your best advantage. Don't forget, they will have to deal not only with the FTA but also the underlying charge. Bottom line, you will need to go back to NY to handle this.
Until this is cleared up, if you are stopped by the police for even a minor infraction, you can be arrested and taken into custody on the spot. Even if you are not extradited (and probably wouldn't be for such a minor charge), you will have to go through th embarrassmnt and inconvienece of this, as well as run the risk of being arrested anytime that you may be stopped in the future. Additionally, an employment background check will turn this all up so obtaining employment may be difficult and if you apply for a driver's license your warrant will probably show.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption