If I cover my facial hair and am getting disciplined while other employees are not covering theirs and are not recieving any disciplinary action, is this discrimination?

I feel I am being singled out.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Contrary to popular belief, an employer may single out an employee or treat him differently than others--there is no legal requirement to treat all employees the same. What there is, however, is a restriction on discriminating based on a specifically protected characteristic, such as a person's race, religion, age over 40, disability, or sex. If you feel you are being treated differently due to a characteristic such as one of these, you may have a discrimination claim and should speak with an employment lawyer. So, for example: say that all the employees but you are white--you are are the only African American, for example. If the white employees can have facial hair but you can't, that might be discrimination. But if you are all or mostly all the same race and the employer is simply treating you differently because it doesn't like how your beard looks, that is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.