If I am going to be charged with a felony for embezzling funds from an employer, if they accept a payment before does the case become criminal?

I took a sizable amount of money from an employer due to a severe gambling problem. I have since addressed the gambling problem, and I made a payment in the form of check to that employer and they cashed it. Charges have not yet been filedbut soon. I am looking at charges from check fraud to misappropriation of funds, etc. I know that in some states, if they take money back before charges then the case is immediately civil. Charges are coming unless I can figure this out.

Asked on February 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Robert Johnston / Law Office of Robert J. Johnston Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your payment of any money owed will not have any affect on whether or not they can bring criminal charge. However, any payments made prior to being charged can be used in mitigation on your case.

I hope this helps. My firm is in Horry County and we represent people state-wide here in South Carolina. Calls and emails are always welcome. We do not charge for those consultations.

Robert J. Johnston, Attorney

Email:     LawyerSC@aol.com




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.