If am I not at fault for the accident, will I be responsible for paying for any part of the damages to my car?

I got into an accident today. I was driving north bound. I person driving in the south bound lane attempted to make a left turn, passing through my lane. This person I ended up hitting this person as they were crossing my lane. The officer said the other driver was at fault for the accident, because it was there responsibility to make sure traffic was clear. I am responsible for paying any part of the damages to my car? Or will the other person be responsible for paying all the damages to my car? If the other person is, are they responsible for paying my deductible as well?

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Accident Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your circumstances.  You should seek help from an attorney in your area for filing various claims.  Michigan is what is know as a "no-fault" state meaning that our car insurance company foots most of the bill for what is known as "first party" benefits or economic loss to you.  But your basic coverage does not pay for your property damage to your vehicle.  You would need to have purchased what is known as Collision and Comprehensive Insurance. That would allow you to make a claim under your policy and then your insurance company would "subrogate" against the other party's insurance company to reimburse them.  You would still have a deductible.  That you would have to pay but you could sue the other party for it.  You need to discuss all these issues with an attorney who can look at your policy and the accident and give you an idea of what you are entitled to.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.