If a person hit a parked car and left the scene but they want to rectify the situation, what’s the best way to do this?

They do not want a potential hit and run case dogging them.

Asked on October 24, 2014 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

While it is always a crime to leave the scene of an accident it is understandable that sometimes people panic.  I might consult an attorney to intervene on your behalf with the necessary steps: go with you to file a police report; contact your insurance company;  contact the owner of the other vehicle.  That buffer may be well worth the money. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.