If a builder requires you to use their consultant but that consultant lies to you, can the offer to purchase be cancelled?

I was told my application was submitted but it was not. the builder never accepted the offer in writting. I want to backout and get earnest money back. Do I have a legal right to do this?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It certainly sounds as if there are options for you but it is difficult to give advice with out reading the documents in question.  Please take them to an attorney as soon as you can. You are going to request that they give it back to you.  The attorney is just going to make sure that he or she finds the mechanism to get it for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.