I would like to get my record expunged, what type of lawyer do I need?

I have misdemeanors on my record from some ten years ago and would like to have them removed. This was from a very difficult time in my life, that now seems ions ago but still lives on in a courthouse/online for anyone to view if they are so inclined. There are no expungement attorneys in my county. I have to hire one from this county.

Asked on March 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, criminal lawyers understand the system and do this type of work, but many other types of lawyers can do it as well.  It starts with the court that presided over your offenses.  I am going to give you a link to a website that can help explain things better.  Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.