If I’m under an H1B visa, can I start a side business?

I work as a state employer in a local university under an H1B visa. However, my wife is under a H-4 status and has not been able to work, so I was thinking to start a side business to bring more income. Is it legal to start a side business while on an H1B visa? Where/who should I go/talk to to find out more information on the matter?

Asked on November 4, 2014 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can open up a company but you are not permitted to work or derive any income from that business while you are in H-1B status or your wife is in H-4 status.  You would need to get someone else to run the day to day operations of the business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.