What to do if I was wrongfully terminated from my job?

I am an auditor for home heath care. I was terminated without any warning because the state auditor, who came and audited the company, supposedly found a lot of things wrong. I got the report from the last auditing and it does not say anything about any wrongdoing on my part. The first audit happened because there was a private complaint from a patient and the second audit was conducted to see if the issues that they found were taken care of. Nowhere in their report does it state that I did a poor job or anything. My good name and reputation is on the line.

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that would prohibit your discharge under these circumstances? Does your dismissal violate company policy? Was your treatment he result of actionable discrimination? If your answer is no to all of the foregoing, then your employer's action did not violate any law. The fact is that in an "at will" work relationship an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment. This includes under what circumstances an employee may be terminated.

If you are still unsure of your rights/remedies, then you should consult with an employment la attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.