If I was the POA for my parents, who have now both passed away, how do I become the executor of their estate?

My father’s bank got in contact with me about a little money left in his account. I can’t get this without being the executor of his estate. What steps do I need to take and how much will something like this cost? It’s going on 3 years since my father passed and I was told that the state will take this soon.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The POA dies with your parents so you would need the ok from the Probate Court to get the money.  Most states allow simplified probate through the small estate proceeding.  I am giving you a link to the small estate affidavit from Davidson County.  While it may not be the county in which you live, it follows state law.   I hope that it helps.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.