If I was the passenger of a car and there was an accident but the driver didn’t have any insurance, how do I get my medical bills paid plus collect for my pain and suffering?

The other driver who caused the accident was insured.

Asked on October 17, 2014 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue an at-fault driver (a driver who was not at fault in causing an accident is not liable, or financially responsible, for any injuries) to recover your medical costs, lost wages (if any) and potentially--for injuries causing significant, long-lasting impairment of life functions or the ability to enjoy life--"pain and suffering." You can first ask the at-fault driver to submit a claim to his/her insurer or otherwise voluntarily pay you, but if he or she will not, your recourse is to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.