If I was sitting next to my student driver daughter when she pulled into a parking stall and had an accident, should I clam this on my insurance or pay out of pocket?

She hit the gas peddle instead of the brake and hit a glass window worth $2000. Damage to the car was only needing to have the bumper cover replaced. The police wrote a report.

Asked on October 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for your daighter's accident damaging the glass window.

Whether to use your insurance to pay the claim or to pay out of pocket is an economic question rather than a legal question. 

I would have the insurance pay the claim instead of paying out of pocket because although there will most likely be an increase in your auto insurance premium, that increase will be significantly less than paying $2000 out of pocket.  Depending on the amount of the increase in your premium, it might take years before that total increase in premiums is anywhere near what you will be paying out of pocket.  At that point, you can always change insurance companies and find a lower premium.

Since you have been paying insurance premiums on this policy, the policy should be used when there is an accident.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.