What rights to confidentiality does a patient have in a drug treatment center?

I was recently in an outpatient drug treatment center and was supposed to graduate this past Thursday. I got a new job that required me to travel out of town. While away, my probation officer called me to tell me that my urine analysis came back positive for alcohol. Only my PO and counselor were aware of this information. One of my friends called me out of town to tell me there were rumors being spread that I had run from the program because my UA was positive for alcohol and that one of the counselors had told them. Can I sue for breach of confidentiality if I signed a confidentiality agreement?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Personal Injury, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Potentially there may be a HIPPA violation by the drug treatment center for releasing test results to non-authorized people concerning you. Possibly you can sue for breach of a confidentiality agreement of a HIPPA violation but in reality you need to ascertain what your damages are in terms of dollars and cents before filing.

I suggest that you consult further with a personal injury attorney about what your legal recourse may be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.