If I was married 3 years ago but moved to another state 1 year ago and my wife moved here 9 months ago, can I file for divorce here in or do I have to file in the state in which I was married?

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Family Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As long as you are both legal residents of the the state in which you are both living, then you would file there. There is no legal requirment to file in the state in which you are married, although it is a common misconception that is where it need be done.

Note: If you and your wife were legal residents of 2 different states, then you could file in either state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.