I was married in 1999. In 2000 I changed my name on my driver’s license only but never through the Social Security Administration. I am now divorced. Is my name legally still my maiden name or my married name?

I was married for 9 years and never changed my name through the Social Security
administration, only through DMV. Now that I am divorced I want to exclusively
use my maiden name but have been unable to get my name changed on my driver’s
license. Is my name still legally my maiden name or my married name? If my legal
name is my maiden name, how do I get the DMV to change it back?

Asked on March 26, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on your final decree of divorce.  If your final decree granted you a name change, then your name is what ever the divorce decree says.  If you did not obtain a name change via the decree, then you are stuck with the name on your driver's license until you file a petition for a name change because DPS will not change your name without a decree or other court order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.