What are my rights if I was unfairly terminated from my job?

I worked under a manager that made my life a living hell to work with, she always complained about my job, when I worked very hard, always, complained that I made to many mistakes, didn’t do my job well, I am 60 years old and she always found and made copies of my mistakes, but it wasn’t mistakes that could not be corrected she wanted me out and mistreated me in front of other employees, always in meetings, and others saw it. I was even not given a raise because she said I was paid more than everyone else.

Asked on October 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Most empoyment is "at will". This means that an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. That is unless doing so violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, a worker's trestment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination. Accordingly, if you believe that you received lesser treatment than your co-worker's due solely to your age, then you may have a claim. Otherwise, not all employees need be treated the same or even fairly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.