If I was just in an accident that was the other person’s fault but my driving privileges are suspended in that state, can I still file a claim?

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the other party was at fault in the accident, the fact that your driving privileges were suspended does not prevent you from filing a claim against the at-fault party's insurance carrier.  You should file claims for the property damage (cost of repairs to your car), and if you were injured, a separate peraonsl injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.