I was involved in an automobile accident, and I am being sued by the other party for bodily injury. Should I leave it to my insurance company?

and I am being sued by the other party for bodily injury. Should I
answer interrogatories, or leave it to my insurance company?

Asked on June 29, 2017 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You pay for insurance for your insurer to handle claims against you. Also, if you do not cooperate with them, or act at cross-purposes to what they are doing, you may give them grounds to decline coverage. So as long as they appear to be responding to or dealing with the lawsuit in a responsible fashion, let them do so; if they appear to be abdicating their responsibilities or not acting your best interest, then hire an attorney to represent you--both to protect you from the suit and to  possibly sue your insurer for "breach of contract" (violating their obligations to you under the policy).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.