What to do if I was injured on the job and have a workers compensation claim I was under modified duty, was reinjured and then terminated?

I was working under modified restrictions and was terminated. I would like to know how to settle my claim with the insurance company and or my company without filing a lawsuit? Is there certain terminology on a request the insurance and company of all of their obligations and receive a payout?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you have written about I would make a second worker's compemsation claim for the second injury that you sustained at work and then consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative of your local department of labor.

Under the laws of all states in this country you cannot be terminated as a result of such a work injury unless your employer is having significant cash flow issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.