I was in a car accident and I did not have insurance now the other insurance company is saying it’s my fault even though it wasn’t and I have to pay 4,000 is this legal

When the police came the young man said it was his fault then change his mind later and said he didn’t know if it was his fault or not he hit me in the front making a turn

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Were there any witnesses to the accident?  If so, they could each sign a declaration under penalty of perjury stating what occurred in the accident and that it was the other party's fault.
If there weren't any witnesses, did the accident occur in an area where video surveillance cameras were present from business establishments, city traffic monitoring, etc. that can establish that the other party was at fault in the accident.
If any of the above are applicable, you can provide evidence to the other driver's insurance that you were not at fault in the accident.
If the police report said the other party was at fault, use that in addition to the above as evidence that you were not at fault.
If none of the above are applicable and you are unable to rectify this situation, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate an auto accident judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.