If I was injured in a car accident and was injured that was proven not to be my fault, do you think I can make a claim for pain and suffering?

I did not have job but I do have daily routines that the injury affected.

Asked on August 14, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You say the accident was "proven" not to be your fault--does that mean that it was another driver's fault? If another driver was at fault in injuring you, then you could possible recover "pain and suffering" compensation for a long-lasting or permanent disability or impairment which diminishes your life functions or quality of life. If you're not employed, you won't receive any lost wages compensation, but that does not mean you are ineligible for a pain and suffering award--and also to recover you out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical expenses (and also for property damage, if your vehicle was damaged).


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.