If I was excused from an MIP that I got and am now applying for a UK student visa, do I have to include it on the application?

MIPs in my state are considered similar to a traffic violation. I went to a diversion class and paid all my fees on time, resulting in the MIP being excused. Keep in mind this is different than expunged. The exact wording on the application is “Do you have any criminal convictions in any country (including traffic offences)? Please give details below. Details should include: date‚ country‚ the offence and the sentence given”.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Immigration Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, since the minor in possession of alcohol charge (MIP) was dismissed as a result of going to diversion, then you were not under the laws of all states in this country convicted of any crime.

As such, your answer to the question that you have written should be "no".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.