How can I prove whether or not the child my wife gave birth to during our marriage is mine?

I was divorced a year ago but did not get a lawyer to help me. My ex makes a healthy salary and did not offer alimony or much help at all. I have fears that she was unfaithful most of our marriage and the one child might be another mans. She took me to court again to come after child support while I was working an $8.25 per hour job. I left that job because it was an hour drive and the people there where nothing but mean. I am now in my parents basement. broke, $10,000 in debt and jobless.

Asked on July 26, 2015 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would need a DNA test: that is the only way to confirm or deny parentage. If she protests or, as the custodial parent, will not allow this, you should be able to get a court order requiring the test. If the child is not yours, that may well modify or potentially eliminate your child support obligations. However, since courts do not like to reduce or eliminate child support, and there is a presumption that a child born during marriage is the child of the spouses, this is likely to be a complex case; so while you do have rights, you are advised to hire a family or matrimonial/divorce law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.