If I was deported when I was 18 but am now I’m 28 and just got married to a U.S. citizen, is that deportation going to affect me?

Asked on September 28, 2015 under Immigration Law, New Mexico


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not going to be able to adjust status in the US even if you are married to a US citizen and that deportation order is still going to be enforced, most likely, if you are picked up.  You are unlawfully present in the US and subject to removal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.