I was charged with obstruction of justice for lying to a police officer. What will happen in court?

Police came to my house because my fiance had a warrant for driving on a suspended. At first I told the officers that he was not in the home even though he was, but after being threatened with jail I decided to tell the truth. My fiance was arrested and taken to jail and I was given a ticket for obstruction of justice. Now I have to appear in court. I know I shouldn’t have lied, but I’m 7 months pregnant and was trying to protect my fiance because we are suppose to find out the sex of our baby soon and I didn’t want him to be in jail and miss it. I have no previous criminal record.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact an attorney, this is a criminal matter.  If you have no previous record your lawyer might be able to work out some form of alternative sentencing that involves a fine, probation, and that will enable you to later clear your record.  Of course there is always the possibility that they may be able to get the charge dropped.  This is why it is important to get an attorney in the area near the court.  They will have contacts within the court and stand a better chance of resolving this matter to your fullest legal advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.