What to do if I was charged with 2nd Degree Criminal Damage to Property which from my understanding is a felony because the estimated damage was $500 or more?

The additional charge was simple battery which I understand is a misdemeanor. My question is if I were to pay for the damage prior to my court date, will this be grounds to dismiss the charge or if I was able to prove with repair cost estimates on my court date that the damage was less than $500 will the charge be dropped to a misdemeanor? I am trying to avoid being charged with a felony and having to hire a lawyer $3500 to take care of this. I have never been charged with a felony in the past and the last time I was arrested was 8 years ago for misdemeanor DUI.

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The mere payment of the damages that you have been charged with concerning the crime does nothing with respect to assisting in dismissing the charge against you. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist in trying to get the matter against you resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.