If I was assaulted by a coach at my college and have already reported him to the school, should I file a police report?

Do I have case even though I was not visibly injured?

Asked on July 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should file a police report: what he did is a crime (assault is a crime, even without injuries) and he may be subject to criminal liability (e.g. charged and, if convicted or he pleads guilty, receive probation, jail time, and/or a fine). Also, a police report helps create a credible written record, should you need it later. 

You would not have a viable civil lawsuit, however, if not injured, since your can only receive compenation for actual medical costs, lost wages, if any, and "pain and suffering" if you suffered some relatively significant disability or life impairment lasting at least weeks or longer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.