What to do about a ticket received while my license was suspended?

I was alone babysitting my grandchild who got sick so her doctor called in a prescription. When I went to pick it up I got a ticket but I have a suspended license. I go to court tomorrow; should I pled guilty or not guilty?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that with respect to the ticket you received for driving on a suspended license that you enter a plea of "not guilty" and then retain an attorney to represent you in trying to get the matter resolved with some plea and a suspended sentence while you are placed on court probation.

If you satsify the terms of the probation, then possibly your plea will be dismissed by the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.