What to do if I want to change my statement on a police report because I did not tell the truth becauseI was intoxicated and made at the time?

I made a statement against my boyfriend and it wasn’t true. We had both been drinking and got into an argument and he said he wasn’t happy with me and didn’t want to see me anymore. I called my sister to pick me up and told her he hit me. She called the cops and then I made the statement. It was not true and now I want to change it.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not it is a good idea to change a statement that you made concerning an incident that is subject to a police investigation at this time may or may not be a good idea. If your boyfriend has not been charged with your assault, then perhaps it is not a good idea to change what was stated.

If he has been arrested and you want to change your statement, then you had better consult with a criminal defense attorney first in that you could be subject to a charge of filing a false police report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.