If I want to challeng the executor’s fee in probate court, do I file a motion and asked the judge to deny it with my facts for why I think it should be denied?

Do I attach a proposed order?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes you would bring a motion before the Court so long as you have what is called "standing" to do so.  Standing means that you have a right to object.  If you are a beneficiary then you have that right.  You would file what is called a notice of appearance with the court once you bring the motion so that they know who you are and that you reporesent yourself.  AS for attaching the order, some courts are ok with it and some are not.  The rules of the Judge will matter.  There may be a hearing so you would not prepare the order before that anyway.  Also, remember that the Executor can fight you using estate funds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.