What to do about lost shifts due to my pregnancy?

I’ve worked for the same company and have had the same schedule for the past 11 years. When I was 8 months pregnant, my employer handed me an envelope with cash in it and said I was now on leave because he didn’t want me to get hurt on the job. I had asked him if I can sign a waiver, because I needed to continue working and my doctor said I was fine to work. I returned to work 6 weeks after I had my baby, but they had taken 2 shifts away from me. I have been asking for weeks to have my shifts back, but they are now someone else’s. Is there any legal action I can take?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may have grounds to bring an employment discrimination lawsuit: it is illegal to discriminate against a woman in employment, including against a woman because she was pregnant or had a child. Reducing your shifts could constitute such discrimination, if there was no other good reason for it (e.g. cutbacks at work affecting other people, too; you not being available for certain shifts; etc.). Since from what you write, you may be facing discrimination, you should contact your state equal/civil rights agency, or speak with an employment law attorney about a possible suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.