What are my rights regarding workplace harassment?

I’ve been with my company for about 7 years. My ratings have exceeded expectations while there. Enter a new boss who gives me a write up which was false and will limit my ability for promotions. It’s a large corporation. In fact my boss told me not to do something, I listened to her and then she wrote me up for it. It’s all recorded. It cost me $1500, an awards trip and not being able to go on another company trip. Not to mention loss of presidents club recognition and the fact that everyone knows I received progressive discipline. There are additional examples where she has inaccurately documented things. Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on October 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You most likely do not have any legal recourse. Since employers are allowed to terminate employees at any time, for any reason whatsoever or even no reason e.g on a whim, they can also do anything short of termination, such as denying trips, bonuses, promotion, or favorable recognition, writing up or disciplining the employee, even for unfair or incorrect reasons, etc. All of this are consequences of all employment being "employment at will" unless, that is, there is a written employment contract if you have such a contract which is being violated, you can sue to enforce it's terms. Accordingly, as unfair as this behavior is, you employer may most likely engage in it the law allows employers to be unfair and abusive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.