If I sold alcohol to a minor while working at a convenience store, what do I do?

I was still in training at a convenience store in FL and forgot to card someone.

Asked on March 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to know up front that Florida imposes tough penalties on businesses and individuals who violate the law against sale to minors. A first-time violation could mean jail time for an individual or could cause a business to lose its license.  You need to tell your boss that you made a mistake and give him or her the chance to speak with someone before it could become a huge problem.  It may not be fatal here as it depends on what results from it and if the matter comes to light.  I am not stating that it should be concealed.  On the contrary.  It needs to be out in the open between you, your boss and his attorney at this point in time.  Do not live with this.  It could explode in your face.  Good luck.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were still training at a convenience store, and your supervisor forgot to card someone, and you forgot, then you need to realize that your supervisor should have caught it and carded that person before leaving the store. How do you know that person was a minor simply by forgetting to card the person? Did you lose your job because of it; if so, there is not much you can do about it. You may be charged with selling alcohol to a minor but if you have already been charged, you should consider talking to legal counsel about what occurred and see if there is surveillance footage showing your supervisor who should have been watching over your training.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.