When can I serve a request for documents and do I have to file it with the court?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I serve a request for documents and do I have to file it with the court?

I filed a small claims against my landlord. He requested a jury trial so I had to file a formal complaint and serve it with a summons. He filed a counterclaim. I answered his counterclaim 3 days ago. How long do I have to wait (we don’t have a court date yet) to serve the “Request for Documents” and do I have to file it with the court? Also is there something else I must file or do first? I am doing this Pro Per as I have no funds for attorneys so I am researching how to do it on-line but I haven’t found a site that lays everything out in sequence.

Asked on August 24, 2011 Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As far as I know, in almost all states in this country if a person files an action in small claims court (maximum jurisdiction for an award is $7,500 or less in California) there is no right to a jury trial and the defendant usually cannot remove the action to a higher jurisdictional court in the state and county where the small claims court action was filed.

In most states, if you are the plaintiff, you have to wait at least ten (10) days after a defendant is served with the summons and complaint to begin formal written discovery consisting of, but not limited to written interrogatories, requests for admissions and document production requests.

If more than ten (10) days have passed since you were served with the landlord's counter claim in the lawsuit you are involved in with him or her, most likely you can now serve your first set of document requests upon the landlord.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption