I signed an online contract for service but that service is not being delivered so i stoped payment. Can i be sued?

I signed up with this company who promised to give me names of top level officials that I could contact directly. After signing up we went thru the motion but nothing was achieved, so I stopped payment. Now I’m being threaten with breach of contract. Can that happen?

Asked on October 28, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can withhold payment and sue the company for breach of contract for failure to provide the service.
The company can sue you for breach of contract for nonpayment; however, you have a defense to enforcement of the contract which is the failure of the company to comply with the terms of the contract by not providing the service which was the subject of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.