If I signed an agreement to do consulting work for a company at an hourly rate but the owner will not pay my bill, what is the best course of action?

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Well, it depends upon at least three issues...[1] the validity of the signed document...[2] the nature of the intended services to be delivered...and [3] how those services were delivered. With that being said...and assuming an enforceable contract...then it depends upon the location of the parties and the amounts that are in dispute...as to whether you would want to pursue the action in superior court and/or small claims court. So, the next item on your list of "things to do" is to select an attorney of your choice and request that initial 30 minute telephone or email consultation.

Shawn Jackson - California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.