If I set up a spy came in my bathroom and caught the cleaner stealing, could she come back at me for violation of privacy?

I have suspected my cleaning lady of stealing, mostly beauty products. So I set up a spy came and caught her stealing a $50 belt, as well as using my beauty products and going through my stuff. The problem is, I had set the cam up in the only place that showed cabinet with beauty supplies – the bathroom. I called and left a message for the maid company stating that I had caught their employee stealing from on tape; when they get back in the office on Monday, they will call. They are going to want proof, which I have, but could this be considered an invasion of privacy that can be used against me?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Potentially the cleaning lady can claim that her privacy was invaded by the use of your spy camera catching her on tape stealing from you, but then again, you caught her doing a criminal act.

The issue is whether she wishes to press the invasion of privacy issue with you with respect to evidence of theft. I suggest you simply have a meeting with the cleaning lady, advise her that there is evidence that she has been caught stealing from you, have her sign a document the reasons for her termination and then terminate her. You can ill afford to employ a thief in your business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.