What to do if I rented a car and my boyfriend at the time borrowed it but then gave it to his cousin who had an accident?

The cousin got in a car accident with the rental (he never went to the hospital). He rear-ended a city bus. The car was towed and salvaged. The rental company just sent me a bill for $14,000. Can I sue?

Asked on October 14, 2013 under Accident Law, New York


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor


When you rented the car, did you take out insurance or did your go through your insurance company?  If you went through your insurance company, you should contact them as soon as possible.  In addition, have your boyfriend contact his insurance company.  I assume you did not put either of them on the rental form.  If you are sued and your insurance company is not going to hire counsel to represent you, you must hire an attorney.  Your attorney will undoubtedly advise that you bring in your boyfriend and his cousin into the lawsuit.


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You would be wise not to post details on a public website and I suggest to you that you ought to obtain private legal counsel. Your post raises many questions. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

[email protected]


Minnesota Law Firm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.