If I went to the doctor and found out that I have a pancreatic mass that had actually been discovered earlier but I was never informed, what is my legal recourse?

They found it on a CT scan 5 months ago when they were scanning me for appendicitis. It was noted on the report but never brought to my attention nor was it followed up on. Now, 5 months later, I am having severe pain in my abdomen and need to have an MRI. My doctor is concerned that the pain is caused by this mass. If something is wrong that could have been prevented, are the doctors liable?

Asked on February 15, 2016 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The doctor(s) or practice which spotted the mass 5 months ago and never brought it to your attention could indeed be liable if you suffer any ill consequences, bad medical outcomes, disability or life impairment, or increased medical costs (over what they would have been had the mass been addressed earlier) which result from the delay, since it would seem to almost be malpractice (professional negligence, or carelessness) to not point a large mass out to a patient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.