What to do if I quit my job when I got my last paycheck and then my employer put a stop order on the check?

I quit my job and my employer cancelled a check that was for 2 pay periods. He says that he won’t give money until I do work he was expecting.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are owed the wages independent of the work expected by your employer, you can file a civil complaint ( a lawsuit ) in your local District Court. If you win, your empoyer would have to pay your damages, including the wages owed to you and the costs of filing the lawsuit and having it served by the constable on your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.