What are my rights regarding a recently purchased used car?

I purchased a vehicle 16 days ago iwith 80,000 miles on it for $11,300. The vehicle blew a radiator right off the bat and although reluctant the dealer was replaced it. After about a week, the check engine light came on for a catalytic converter and is still on. I informed him; he was annoyed and said he would try some things but did not want to replace a catalytic converter because it’s expensive. Now last night I was driving with my friend on our way home and as we hit a small pot hole the tie rod (pretty sure that’s the part) separated or snapped and the car lost control. I luckily stopped it from getting into an accident and was able to get to the side of the road. My friend saw everything as well as the police.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry the seller of any item including a car is required to disclose to all prospective buyers all KNOWN problems with the item affecting desirability or price paid before the sale even if the vehicle is sold "as is".

Unless you can demonstrate that the seller of the car that you purchased knew about problems with it that you were not advised of before the sale, you have no legal recourse against the seller for the problems you are having now under the laws of all states in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.