How can I find a pro bono lawyer or a cheap lawyer if I need help with making a parenting plan settling custody and so forth?

I need help getting an attorney. I have 2 children; 1 lives with me and 1 doesn’t. I make $14 an hour and pay $220 in child support a month. I am very broke trying to take care of my kids.

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The way to get a pro bono attorney for a low cost attorney for your child custody matter is to do the following:

1. contact your local legal aid clinic for help;

2. contact your county bar association to see if there is a program to help you;

3. contact the family law court in your county;

4. contact the nearest law school to see if it provides a clinic to help a person such as you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.