What to do if I need help filling child custody papers from court?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Each Superior Court location has a self-help center.  These centers have weekly schedules and some only provide assistance on certain types of matters on certain days.  In general, the self-help centers don't provide the level of expertise or the level of service you would want--but its free.

Some lawyers offer what is called "limited scope" work.  That means they may be willing to help you fill out paperwork--and you would remain your own legal representative without a lawyer in court.  Such assistance is less expensive than retaining an attorney, but certainly more expensive than the free help at the self-help centers.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.