If I married my wife and she used her maiden name but she is using her ex-husband’s surname on her social and permanent residency card, now that she’s going to apply for citizenship will it affect the filing?

Do we need to amend her name or change it on the marriage certificate?

Asked on November 13, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it should not affect anything.  She should just be sure to include any and all names she has ever used on her naturalization application and she will need to select the name that she wants to have appear on her naturalization certificate.  If she wants to now change her name, this is her chance to do so without incurring any additional fees, as part of the naturalization process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.