If I lost my 17 year old son’s paycheck, what do I do so that he can get it replaced?

My son left us paycheck in my car and I accidentally threw it in the trash when I was cleaning my car. I feel awful. What can I do?

Asked on May 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can *ask* if the employer will cancel or stop pay the check and issue another one, which they can voluntarily do and may do if they can confirm it was not paid out yet. However, you cannot require them to do this: their responsibility was to pay your son--to give him his pay or paycheck. Once they do that, they discharged their responsibility and are not required to replace a check that was lost, stolen, etc. after they provided it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.