What can I do as heir of a property if my mom owned a home and remarried but now that she’s died he has taken her possessions that were in it?

He just moved out and took out all of the items inside the home. She had most of this before she married him.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  What you can do is be appointed as the personal representative of your Mother's estate and go after her husband for the items that you believe were separate property.  Was the house in her name only?  The issue with married couples is that the courts generally assume that things are owned jointly.  You are going to have to prove otherwise.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.